Saturday, October 17, 2009

Adam Lambert Promises 'Glam is Back' with his Debut Album

American Idol runner-up reveals new song titles and collaborators

While Adam Lambert's debut album doesn't hit stores for more than a month, the "American Idol" runner-up is offering fans some hints about what they can expect.

In the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, Lambert says he was influenced by the Killers and Muse for the yet-untitled LP. "It's as if a '70s time capsule blasted off into space and you're watching it through a holographic filter," he said. "That's my big vision. ... Glam is back, mother----ers."

Lambert told the magazine that he struggled while deciding on a sound for the album. "When I got off the 'Idol' tour, I had a little identity crisis," he explained. "I was like, 'What do I wanna do?' "

Lambert worked with Rob Cavallo and former Darkness frontman Justin Hawkins on "Music Again" and has a song written by Pink and Max Martin, "What Do You Want From Me?" "It works on a relationship level, but I also relate to the sense of talking to the public," he said. "Like, 'This whole thing's a little freaked out, but please have faith in me, because I won't disappoint you.' "

He wrote the song "Strut" with "Idol" judge Kara DioGuardi, and he said, "It's a Gary Glitter/ T.Rex-type empowerment lyric. You're not gonna find love and happiness unless you let your hair down and strut your stuff."

Lambert co-wrote "Loaded Smile" with Linda Perry, and it's not quite as glittery as "Strut." "It's a bit dark, with all the vocals in falsetto," he said. "It feels like you're floating in space."

The album will span many genres, Lambert said, so he doesn't get stuck in one lane. "I don't think an album has to have one sound. ... I don't like boxing myself into a genre," he said. "But if I had to pick one major style, the classic-rock stuff is where I was most comfortable on the show — or at least that's what people saw me as the most.

"I wanna rock, I want people to dance, I want people to cry, I want people to smile and laugh," he said. "I wanna play dress-up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment